When headband wigs first hit the scene, they were made of synthetic hair and had a shelf-life of about 3 – 6 months depending on frequency use and care.
Recently, there has been an explosion of human hair headband wigs and they have changed the game!
Beauty in Wearing a Human Hair Headband Wig
Installing, applying, or simply putting on a human hair headband wig (once called half-wigs) is just that simple, putting it on. There is no real installation like with a hair weave or a front lace wig. The steps are quite simple:
- Decide if you are leaving some of your natural hair out or not. Human hair headband wigs have evolved to where you can wear them either way.
- Brush your hair into a low-back bun or braid your hair in cornrows. You can also twist your hair in small twists. The goal is for the wig to lay as flat as possible to look as natural as possible. (If leaving hair out for any reason, separate the hair to be left out and follow the above steps for the remaining hair.)
- In front of a mirror, affix the wig to your hair and play around with it until you find the look you like.
- Secure the hidden combs or Velcro.
- Finger comb the hair or shake your head in a vigorous motion to loosen the look. If leaving hair out, style as desired.)
That’s it. You’re ready to go! While it may have taken a minute to read, it will only take seconds to do.
If you want to add some spice to your overall look, choose a colored scarf to wear over the headband portion of the wig. Tie it in the back, grab your purse, keys, and sashay your adorable self out the door!
Benefits of Wearing a Human Hair Headband Wig
Headband wigs are the best quick-fix option for those bad hair days or last-minute hair issues. They also work if you happen to have a lazy day and still want to be unapologetically fabulous. Other benefits include:
- Protective hairstyle option
- Time-saver, if stored well
- Lightweight, so it won’t cause additional heat to the scalp like synthetic headband wigs
- Adds flavor and versatility to your wardrobe style for the day
- Naturally keeps hair out of your face
- Seals in your hair’s natural moisture unlike, synthetic headband wigs that dry out your hair
If you are new to the wig game, a human hair headband wig is your best option because:
- Headband wigs do not require the time, detail and attention for installation like front lace wigs
Front lace wigs are secured to the scalp using hair glue which can be damaging to your edges if applied or removed incorrectly. Whereas human hair headband wigs are secured to the hair with hidden baby combs. For our bald or balding sisters, don’t count yourself out! We haven’t! Headband wigs can also be applied using Velcro. If this is you, we offer a Wig Grip Band so you too have the same options.
Caring for a Human Hair Headband Wig
Whether it’s a wig or your natural hair, clean hair is the best hair. Therefore, it is best practice to wash your wig before wearing it to cleanse the hair of any possible debris. Your goal is to maintain the wig and extend the shelf-life. Most human hair headband wigs can last up to and beyond 12 months with proper care.
- Comb the hair through to remove possible tangles or knots.
- Gently wash the hair in warm water using wig shampoo or a gentle shampoo with one hand working from top to bottom. Yes, the headband needs to be washed, as well.
- Rinse the hair thoroughly in cold water to rid shampoo residue.
- Conditioner is necessary as this is human hair. You want to treat it like you treat your own, to an extent. Let the conditioner sit for 2 – 5 minutes and rinse. Try not to get conditioner on the wig cap, as it will loosen the hair causing it to shed.
- Wrap in a cotton T-shirt & squeeze to remove excess water.
- Comb through to remove possible tangles and knots.
- Let air dry either on a towel or wig stand/wig head.
Depending on how often you wear your wig will depend on how often you wash it. Example: If you wear your wig daily, you should wash it every 7 – 14 days.
- It is encouraged to lightly oil the wig hair. This enhances a natural look. If you wear the wig daily, you should oil it once or twice per week. You don’t want the oil to weigh down the hair.
- When not in use, store on a wig head or in a wig storage bag to reduce tangling and knotting.
Wyatt Hair Collections’ Human Hair Headband Wigs
Now that you’ve learned about the beauty and the benefits, check out our wig options below. Click-the-pic to be taken to the page for purchase: